A teacher, a parent or a family member -through the Worms Box- can explain to their child how to recycle organic waste “playing”, interacting with other living beings –worms– and in turn finding a specific result: worm castings.
This natural fertilizer can be applied in the garden or orchard and if the child consumes a fruit from that orchard -which will be healthy, organic and natural- this virtuous cycle is closed.
For this reason, when we say that the solution to the problem of organic waste is at home, we are right.
Not only in this way are we going to reduce the amount of organic waste that reaches landfills, but we can also fertilize our orchards and gardens without using chemicals that harm health and the environment.
It is a closed container that has a recycled plastic tray in which Californian worms live. As the worms excrete and fill the fertilizer compartment, two other trays are added to the box.
In turn, there is a decantation process in which the solid humus can be transformed into liquid in the last tray and can be extracted simply by pressing the tap.
The procedure is very simple and the children themselves can do it with or without the help of their elders.
Worms Boxes are closed, so there is no risk of strong, fetid odors or lack of hygiene, since the process is carried out in a container that does not allow leakage of organic remains or worms.
worm humus –resulting from this process- is the highest quality natural fertilizer and soil conditioner that we currently have on the market. Its use instead of chemicals, will undoubtedly benefit our benefit and that of future generations.
What can children do to help with the Worms Box?
- In the first place, the children can help to assemble the first tray of the Worms Box and place the worms -which come in a separate box- inside the compartment.
- Organic household waste makes up 60% of all waste and is the most difficult to recover, which is why the container is so valuable. Explain to the children the importance of separating the waste and they themselves can deposit the organic ones on the upper tray of the box so that the worms go up to look for food.
- Choosing your waste well is very important. What to avoid: fish, meat, seasoned vegetables and milk.
- The little ones can also collect the liquid humus by pressing the tap. As it is a concentrated natural fertilizer, it is convenient to dilute it in water and place it in a sprayer to apply it via foliar application to plants, flowers and shrubs.
- Children can also help collect solid humus to place plants. To do this, they have to separate the worms from the humus with their hands (with or without gloves), which is like a dark and totally odorless fertile earth. It is a very good task for children, for them to contact nature from another place and interacting with living beings, noble animals such as California worms.
- The little ones can collaborate by placing this worm humus - the result of the whole process - in the pots to grow the richest and healthiest vegetables. In the same way they can help to vaporize the plants with the liquid humus resulting from the decantation of the Worms Box.
The Worms Box allows us to interact with our children, making them see the natural cycle of the disintegration of organic waste, teaching them that we can generate totally natural fertilizers and give a break to the chemical aggression that we cause every day.
There are many of us who are on this path and the more we join, the less the chemicals that we are going to apply to our plants will be and the healthier our planet will be.