Many people follow the ritual of drinking a glass of warm water with a splash of lemon juice every morning. Why? Its properties justify it
What a simple and pleasant remedy! We've all taken it sometime, likemedicinal drink or assoda.
Lemons deservedly have a "food-medicine" aura and many people benefit from it every morning by repeating the ritual ofdrink on an empty stomach a glass of water with the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon.
Lemons contain many organic acids - such as citric acid - that stimulate salivation andquench thirst more than just water. This is why most soda pop is acidic.
The 6 benefits that will improve your life
Drink lemon water every morning It has infinite benefits, but these are the first ones you will notice:
- The taste is acidic but increases the excretion of acids through the urine, so its effect on the blood and the body isalkalizing(And because of that,detoxifying). The pH of lemon is 2.6, possibly one of the most acidic among fruits. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple - or tomato - are also acidic.
- A glass of water with half a lemon It provides 2 kilocalories, and in return it offers us potassium (10 mg), vitamin C (4 mg), flavonones (2 mg of eriocitrin, diosmin, hesperidin and naringenin) and some fiber (0.5 g). This formula is purifying andIt helps with blood circulation.
- Lemon water is a first-choice remedy for colds and pharyngitis. Its effectiveness as an immunity booster has been attributed to its vitamin C content. However, although lemon is rich in this vitamin, it is not a "bomb".
- The effect is due, according to studies, to the combination of aromatic oils and phytonutrients such as flavanones, whichmultiply by 200 the stimulating capacity of vitamin C.
- Thanks to the citrate content (230 mg in 5 ml),prevents the appearance of kidney stones. Consuming the juice of one half to one lemon each day significantly raises citrate levels in the urine, which reduces the formation of stones in the urinary system (in the kidneys and bladder).
- Lemon water also helpsimprove immunity. The joint action of vitamin C and flavonones increases the number of white blood cells, defensive cells capable of eliminating viruses, bacteria and diseased cells. Therefore it is recommended in the dietary treatment of infections, especially respiratory infections.
If we want to make afastwith the aim of promotingdepurationand theweight reduction (if possible, under the supervision of a dietitian or a doctor), we can take about 40 lemons in 10 days.
By Josep Lluis Berdonces
With information from: