This exquisite traditional banana bread is also delicious and has ingredients that make it very healthy.
Gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free, you can eat this banana bread without guilt. It is special for people who are taking anti-inflammatory diets, for celiac patients, vegetarians, vegans, or for those who simply want to eat healthier.
Having alternative recipes to the typical processed ingredients that use other healthier ones is very necessary in these times when the food industry increasingly poisons us.
Not only chemical additives in processed foods are the cause of some ailments, but certain components of food, such as some proteins and / or enzymes, also display serious symptoms.
These foods include many ingredients for making breads and desserts, which are not tolerated by some people, especially those with autoimmune diseases such as celiac disease, arthritis, lupus, and even fibromyalgia, which is within a range of characteristics similar to autoimmune disease.
And here is this healthy and delicious alternative:
- 3 "flax eggs" (3 tablespoons ground flax seeds, 9 tablespoons water)
- 4-5 bananas (about 2 cups for mashed banana and 1 for decorations)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (can be honey or liquid stevia)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of coconut or almond flour (or combined).
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Optional handful of chopped almonds.
- Make the "flax eggs" by mixing the ground flax seeds with water in a small bowl, cover and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- While you wait for the flax eggs to form their consistency, in a medium bowl, mash the bananas, add the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Set aside.
- In a small container add the dry ingredients and reserve.
- Chop a handful of almonds and reserve.
- When the flax eggs have formed their consistency, add them to the wet mixture.
- Slowly mix the dry mix into the wet mix being careful not to overwork it.
- If you are using almonds, gently add them into the mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Cut the excess banana and place on top.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove.
- Cut and enjoy. Nut butter works well with bread.
It can be left out in a sealed container for 3-4 days, in the fridge for a week, and in the freezer for about a month. If it is to be kept in the freezer, it is recommended to slice and freeze individual servings so that individual servings can be taken later.
Suggestions for serving
This recipe is for a moist banana bread. It can be toasted on the grill or in a dry skillet on the stove over medium heat to prevent it from breaking in the toaster.
Option without almonds
The almonds give the bread an added texture. Walnuts and pecans work well too. You can replace them with sunflower seeds as well.